The shortlist for the Mountbatten Maritime Award 2017 has been announced.
The Award – an engraved silver Armada Plate is one of six annual awards honouring work which deepens understanding of maritime issues and particularly Britain’s dependence on the sea.
The winners will be announced at the Maritime Media Awards in London on 8th November at the Institute of Directors, 116 Pall Mall.
Last year’s Mountbatten Maritime Award was won by Peter Hennessy and James Jinks for their book The Silent Deep: The Royal Navy Submarine Service Since 1945.
Mountbatten Maritime Award shortlist
- Jonathan Anderson and Edwin Low – Voyages (Lucky Panda Press/Anderson & Low)
- Andrew Boyd – The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters: Linchpin of Victory 1935-1942 (Seaforth Publishing)
- Reginald Cogswell – Exeter: A Cruiser of the Medium Size (Navy Books)
- Nic Compton – The Shipping Forecast (BBC Books/Penguin)
- Steve R Dunn – Securing the Narrow Sea: The Dover Patrol 1914-1918 (Seaforth Publishing)
- James Irvine, Brian Budge, Jude Callister, Issy Grieve, Kevin Heath, Andrew Hollinrake, Keith Johnson, Neil Kermode, Michael Lowrey, Tom Muir, Emily Turton and Ben Wade – HMS Hampshire: A Century of Myths and Mysteries Unravelled (The Orkney Heritage Society)
- James Kendra and Tricia Wachtendorf – American Dunkirk: The Waterborne Evacuation of Manhattan on 9/11 (Temple University Press, USA)
- Emma Jane Kirby – The Optician of Lampedusa (Penguin)
- Peter Lyon – Merchant Seafaring Through World War I 1914-1918 (Book Guild)
- Captain V S Parani – Golden Stripes: Leadership on the High Seas (Whittles Publishing)
- Jan Rüger – Heligoland: Britain, Germany and the Struggle for the North Sea (Oxford University Press)
- Conrad Waters (Editor) – Navies in the 21st Century (Seaforth Publishing)
- Stephanie Zarach – Trading History: The Baltic Exchange since the 18th Century (The Baltic Exchange)
Tickets for the Maritime Media Awards 2017 are available here.
Notes to editors:
Nominations for the Maritime Media Awards 2017 are listed at https://www.maritimefoundation.uk/awards/awards-nominations/
- The Desmond Wettern Award for Best Journalistic Contribution.
- The Mountbatten Award for Best Literary Contribution.
- The Donald Gosling Award for Best Television or Film Contribution.
- The First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award for Best Use of Digital and Social Media.
- The Desmond Wettern Fleet Award for Best Contribution to a Positive Image of the Royal Navy.
- The Maritime Fellowship Award for outstanding contribution to stimulating public engagement in maritime issues.