The Desmond Wettern Media Award
for Best Journalistic Contribution
The Award is made to the journalist whose writing, in the opinion of the Awards Committee, has made the most constructive contribution to generating public awareness of current maritime issues during the qualifying period.
Eligible work may take the form of journalism in newspapers, periodicals, or specialist or technical journals (whether such publications are published in print or digitally) or radio journalism, but not television journalism, which is covered separately by the Donald Gosling Award for best Film or Television Contribution.
- Whether the work sustains an authoritative approach to promoting maritime awareness
- Whether the work causes the significance of maritime events to be reported in different media
- Whether the work contributes to a wider understanding of maritime issues, including political issues
- The significance of issues chosen
- The range and depth of analysis
- The quality of assessments concerning the future
- The originality of the work
- Its impact on maritime policy, public awareness and individual commitment
The prize is an engraved crystal decanter and a cheque for £1,000.